As a business law boutique, our lawyers routinely work on the day-to-day business issues of our clients. Our lawyers have served as in-house or outside general counsel for some of the most recognized businesses in the country. Avisen averages over 20 years of experience per attorney, so when you work with our team, you will have direct access to experienced lawyers who have worked on deals just like yours and can respond to issues just like the ones you are facing. Many of our clients think of us as “their lawyer” for any legal issue related to their business and they have done so for decades.
Outside General Counsel Experience
We have been there — and done that. Our lawyers have spent decades serving as in-house or outside general counsel to a wide range of businesses, during their formation, continuing operations, growth and sale. We have deep experience handling business related legal issues that come up in the day-to-day operations of our clients. We also provide counsel to business owners at key inflection points, like debt or equity funding, selling a business, purchasing another one, and transitioning ownership.
Outside General Counsel Attorneys in Minneapolis
We routinely advise clients regarding their relationships with employees, sales agents, customers, vendors, distributors and strategic partners; developing and protecting intellectual property; risk avoidance and risk management; and corporate governance. Whether it is something as simple as hiring your first few employees or putting an NDA in place or something as complex as negotiating a “bet the company” deal – we can help you with it, because, most likely, we have already done something similar.
OUTSIDE GENERAL COUNSEL SERVICES IN MINNEAPOLIS, MN
Type of Clients We Work With
We serve as outside general counsel for businesses that do not have their own in-house counsel and need an accessible legal partner who they trust to be timely, knowledgeable and responsive. We also service clients who already have in-house counsel but who need additional assistance due to capacity or experience constraints.
We assist clients in every industry, including manufacturing, chemicals, software, hardware, agriculture, retail, real estate, private equity, food and beverage, supermarkets, licensed professions (dentists, doctors, chiropractors, investment advisors), education, nonprofit, religious organizations and health and human services.
- Outside general counsel for an international bioplastics company in negotiating long term global supply agreement with a Fortune 500 customer. We also counsel the client routinely on their day to day contracting involving vendors, technology and R&D partners, key strategic suppliers, and outsourced manufacturers. We provide routine corporate governance counsel to their executive team and Board.
- Outside general counsel to a global software and chemical solutions provider for 3D printed materials. We acted as counsel for multiple funding rounds for this client, ensuring their compliance with security laws. We also serve as their day-to-day counsel for matters as simple as non-disclosure agreement and as complex and intellectual property licensing agreement with strategic partners. We provide advice on decisions to hire, fire and provide equity incentive compensation to their employees and executives. We provide this client with governance advice and as counsel to their Board.
- Outside general counsel to green chemistry start-up. We helped this client negotiate a cross-border outsourced manufacturing agreement that is critical to its business and that protects its most important intellectual property. We provide strategic guidance and day-to-day counsel to the client on their relationships with potential customers and strategic investors, many of whom are large companies with global operations.
- Outside general counsel to an artificial intelligence (AI) consulting and software company in negotiating technology services agreements and SaaS Agreements for customers in various fields, including fighting climate change and financial services. We help this company with their day do day contracting needs, but we also help with key inflection points like spinning out divisions and redeeming stock from investors. We also provide advice on privacy law (including CCPA and GDPR) related to their web crawling services. We drafted the standard forms that this client uses for customer engagements.
- Outside general counsel to an electronic medical records SaaS company. We helped this client when they raise startup capital, hire employees and negotiate their contracts with their customers. We drafted their form of SaaS agreement that they use for customer engagements.
- Outside general counsel for a building climate automation technology company. We helped them with critical contracts and license negotiations and drafting, raising seed financing and closing on one of the largest Series A venture rounds in Minnesota in 2019 with some of the world’s largest climate focused venture firms.
- Outside general counsel to one of the nation’s largest bike retailers on day to day corporate, employment and real estate matters.
- Outside general counsel to multi-unit quick service restaurant owner and real estate holding company on day to day corporate, employment and real estate matters.
- Outside general counsel to real estate developer and construction company on corporate governance, ownership and joint venture matters, and in transition of business to certified woman-owned business
- Outside general counsel to private equity fund on acquisitions and day to day business and employment matters
- For our experience with mergers and acquisitions on behalf of business owners, see more on our Mergers and Acquisitions page
What Really Differentiates Us
Aside from our years of experience and deep knowledge of estate and succession planning, when you work with us you will notice we are extremely hands-on. You deal directly and personally with us as we brainstorm the best options for your estate and business. Because of our collaborative environment, we pull in the expertise of our colleagues as needed when there are issues involving employment law, real estate, or intellectual property.
When you work with Avisen Legal, you will be working directly with the lawyer you hired. We pride ourselves on being accessible, and offering practical, no-nonsense advice.
How We Serve Clients
At Avisen Legal, we serve as Outside General Counsel by acting as your legal advisor, counseling you on the legal implications of every business decision you make. We actively work with you and your business management team, professional colleagues, and referral sources to support transactions and provide related legal guidance as you grow your business. Our services are customized to meet your needs.
As Outside General Counsel, we serve our clients in the following areas with the following services:
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to management
- Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors
- Identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks
- Provide legal and strategic support across the entire company
- Furnish product, regulatory, commercial, and compliance support to business units
- Analyze legal risks and opportunities to your company in light of evolving and dynamic regulatory and competitive environments
- Remain informed about changes to local, state, and federal laws and advise executive members on their impact on the business
- Oversee the legal matters of the business as a whole, including acting as the business’ legal representative
- Maintain institutional knowledge of the company’s legal documents and operations
- Form new entities and manage organization’s corporate record books, including meeting minutes, by-laws, and other key organizational agreements and records
- Manage, structure, draft, review, negotiate, and close your contracts and corporate and commercial transactions
- Anticipate and address risk in a strategic manner
- Represent the company in the acquisition and sale of commercial real estate
- Counsel management on issues arising from real estate financing, including all aspects of commercial lending
- Negotiate commercial leases, whether the company is the landlord or tenant
- Advise the company on real estate development issues
- File for trademarks and copyrights
- Negotiate and draft agreements relating to the licensing, sale, or purchase of intellectual property
- Counsel management and key employees on trade secret issues
- Negotiate and draft material transfer agreements
- Facilitate filings of licensing forms and other state and federal statutory requirements
- Communicate with relevant licensing boards as needed
- Handle other statutory filings on an as-needed basis
- On call, real time advice on employee management, discipline, termination, and other issues with legal implications that arise from time to time in the course of business
- Advise on and draft employment agreements, non-compete agreements, employee commission and bonus plans, and related legal documents
- Provide risk management services in order to avoid or manage employee legal claims such as discrimination, retaliation, whistleblower, wage and hour, noncompete, and other form of employee lawsuits, charges, and complaints
- Interface with external parties (regulators, external counsel, politicians, clients)
- Craft and review legal strategy in response to any litigation in conjunction with outside counsel
- Maintain records of all legal documents and proceedings for the company
- Communicate with outside counsel and subject matter experts when specialized expertise is needed
- Review, analyze, and implement pre-litigation responses to potential claims against the business
OUTSIDE GENERAL COUNSEL VIDEOS
Contact Our Minneapolis Outside General Counsel Law Firm
Would your company be a good fit for our Outsourced General Counsel services? Reach out and let’s talk about it!