We support the mission and vision of renewable energy projects. We know the value of and interest in sustainable energy is increasing at a fast pace, making energy projects even more popular and in-demand today with a huge growth trajectory. We believe supporting businesses across a variety of renewable energy industries will be as good for business as it is for the planet and for future generations.
As entrepreneurs ourselves, our renewable energy group understands what it takes to successfully close renewable energy deals. From solar and wind, to renewable natural gas (RNG) projects, we help you from project inception through early-stage bridge financing, land acquisition, permitting, regulatory matters, and construction, as well as structuring the right finance deal for you to own and operate a successful renewable energy business. When the deal is done, we can also serve as your outside general counsel to ensure the ongoing success of your renewable energy venture.
Our Renewable Energy Practice Areas and Fields
Within our renewable energy practice, we focus on the following practice areas and related fields:
We Focus on Unique and Interesting Deals
We like unique and interesting deals in the renewable energy space. We’ve found that a lot of big law firms do big utility projects on a very large scale. Because of our entrepreneurial focus, we work with people who probably don’t do these deals in their day-to-day job but need to learn about all aspects of funding and building a renewable energy project. We also work with experienced developers and funds on projects that have a lot of untapped potential. Recently a client told us we have a “great bedside manner.” We take this as a compliment because we know and understand how to get a renewable energy deal done.
Our Renewable Energy Services
- Project Development – Our team of renewable energy attorneys collaborates with clients early on during the project development phase.
- Project Finance – We help clients fund energy projects using infrastructure fund financing, bank and non-traditional debt, USDA loan guarantees, DOE loans and grants, green bonds, Opportunity Zone financing, Investment Tax Credit (ITC) financing, and New Market Tax Credit (NMTC) financing.
- Navigating the Inflation Reduction Act Tax Credits and Other Incentives – We advise clients on identifying, navigating, and securing the new, extended, and expanded tax credits and other tax benefits in the Inflation Reduction Act. Our team leverages decades of state and federal policy, legal, and legislative experience to make sense of the Investment Tax Credit, the Production Tax Credit, ITC bonus credits and adders, Prevailing Wage and Apprenticeship requirements, Elective Payment (“direct pay”) for nonprofits and government entities, and ITC transferability, among others.
- Startup Finance – We help startup ventures fund projects through capital structure execution, bridge loans, and other creative strategies.
- Land Acquisition and Control – All renewable energy projects start with the land upon which the project will be built. We work with renewable energy clients and entrepreneurs needing land, working closely with governmental entities to secure favorable tax treatment.
- Key Contracts – Our renewable energy attorneys understand the energy business and assist clients with the contracts necessary at every deal stage. This includes feedstock (dairy manure, poultry waste, beef, and pork manure, industrial and residential food waste, and even biogas/RNG as a feedstock itself), offtake (physical gas and environmental attributes) engineering, construction equipment, operation and maintenance, and more.
- Regulatory Matters – Our lawyers know and understand the regulatory issues renewable energy projects can face in the highly regulated renewable energy industry. Because of our experience, we can guide and direct your project through this complex process with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), local and state Public Utilities Commissions, and sometimes the Environmental Protection Agency. We know and understand the compliance requirements of the Energy Policy Act (EPA), and ensure full compliance by our clients.
- Interconnection – Every renewable energy project must work with local utility companies and enter into an Interconnection Agreement. Our lawyers have experience seamlessly establishing Interconnection Agreements with local and state utilities.
Renewable Energy Attorneys in Minneapolis, MN
Industries We Serve
We want to help your business make a positive impact on the environment. We work with clients in a variety of industries, including:
- Infrastructure Private Equity Firms
- Boutique Investors
- Corporate and Strategic Partners on Renewable Energy projects
The Spaces We Work In
The deals we do for our clients through our Renewable Energy practice include:
- Solar Energy (Rooftop and Ground-Mount)
- Community Solar
- Power Purchase Agreements (PPA)
- Net Metering
- Energy Storage
- Wind Power
- Carbon Capture, Sequestration, Storage and Reuse
- Renewable fuels including biomass, biogas and Renewable Natural Gas (RNG)
- Energy efficiency
- Waste to Energy Including Biogas and Anaerobic Digestion
Our Unique Approach and Experience
Our work has included all aspects of project development and financing, including key contracts (feedstock, lease, offtake, RIN and LCFS, construction, and more), as well as debt and equity financing. Our experience includes:
Clean Energy Financing
- PACE of Minnesota statewide financing program, representing the program administrator
- PACE Financing for Long-term-care facilities, representing the program administrator
- CU Green clean energy financing platform, representing the credit union trade association
- Lake Erie Economic Development Corporation Icebreaker Wind offshore wind project in Lake Erie (client was Cuyahoga County, OH, Clean Energy Financing Hub)
General Strategic Advisory Services
- Clean energy financing policy development, representing a nonprofit organization
- State-level Green Bank enabling legislation, representing a nonprofit organization
- Electric utility policy reform, representing a nonprofit organization
- Electric power plant fuel supply agreement analysis, representing a nonprofit organization
Electric Vehicle Supply Chain Legal Services
At Avisen Legal, we are committed to supporting the rapidly growing Electric Vehicle (EV) industry and its entire supply chain. As the world transitions towards a more sustainable and eco-friendly future, we understand the pivotal role that electric vehicles play in reducing carbon emissions and promoting clean transportation solutions.
Tax Credit Assistance for Charging Stations
One of the key components of our work in the EV sector is providing expert guidance on tax credits available for installing charging stations. We recognize that the expansion of charging infrastructure is critical to the widespread adoption of electric vehicles. Our experienced legal team can assist you in navigating the complex landscape of tax incentives and credits, ensuring that you maximize your financial benefits while contributing to the growth of EV infrastructure.
Who We Work with in the EV Industry
Our EV legal services are designed to cater to a broad spectrum of businesses and organizations within the EV industry and supply chain, including:
- EV Manufacturers: We provide legal support to manufacturers involved in the production of electric vehicles, helping them address regulatory and compliance issues specific to the EV market.
- Charging Station Providers: Whether you are a startup focusing on charging station installations or an established player in the EV charging sector, we can assist you in securing the tax credits and incentives available for expanding your charging network.
- Fleet Management Companies: Companies operating vehicle fleets, especially those transitioning to electric fleets, can benefit from our expertise in tax credit assistance and regulatory compliance.
- EV Software Developers: If you’re in the business of developing software solutions for EVs, our legal team can help you navigate the legal aspects of this dynamic and innovative sector.
- Supply Chain Partners: We work with businesses across the entire EV supply chain, from component suppliers to logistics companies, ensuring they are well-informed about tax credit opportunities and compliance requirements.
Why Choose Avisen for Your EV Legal Needs?
Our team brings a wealth of knowledge and experience in renewable energy and sustainability-focused legal services. We are dedicated to staying at the forefront of the ever-evolving EV industry, making us well-positioned to provide you with tailored legal solutions that align with your business objectives and the broader goal of promoting clean transportation.
If you are involved in the Electric Vehicle industry or supply chain and seek expert legal assistance for tax credits related to charging station installations, we invite you to get in touch with us. Let’s work together to drive the future of clean and sustainable transportation.
Our Commitment to Biofuel Projects
Our first ethanol project was in 1997, helping form and finance DENCO in Morris, Minnesota. Since then, our lawyers have worked on ethanol and other biofuels projects in Minnesota, the Midwest, the U.S., Mexico, the Caribbean, Germany, Poland, South Korea and Thailand. In total, we have worked on projects with a production capacity well over a billion gallons. In addition, we have worked on renewable gasoline, renewable diesel, RNG and hydrogen projects connected to existing ethanol plants or as separate projects.
We continue to work with a number of Minnesota biofuels producers and developers and serve biofuels producers and developers in North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Texas, New Jersey, New York, Florida, California, Oregon, Nevada, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, and more.
Avisen Legal Team Instrumental in Trenton Renewables Project
Avisen Legal is proud to serve as counsel to Trenton Renewables. Working directly with the Trenton team, we were involved in all aspects of the project, from feedstock and offtake contracts, technical licensing, construction and working with local counsel on permitting and site control issues. We worked with and for various financing parties, including a family office, an infrastructure private equity fund, multiple Qualified Opportunity Zone Funds, Investment Tax Credit financing and sustainable debt financing. We continue to serve as counsel and look forward to other opportunities with Trenton in the future.
Red River Biorefinery
Avisen lawyers worked with the developers on this project, from helping secure Letters of Intent for feedstock and offtake contracts, site control, seed financing, infrastructure private equity financing, and real estate matters for the final construction and financing.