“My father was a second-generation entrepreneur who took a sleepy southern Minnesota retail furniture business started by my grandfather in 1933 and expanded it to become a national mail and telephone reseller of high-end furniture and a regional distributor of consumer audio products. When I became a lawyer, I started working with technology entrepreneurs almost immediately, as their struggles in building a business resonated with me personally. Now, I understand the entrepreneurial challenges and demands firsthand, having started two companies in the entertainment ticketing industry. I use my own experience when providing counsel to my clients.”
- Minnesota, 1993
For over 35 years, I have represented entrepreneurs who start and grow technology-based enterprises and angel and venture investors who target those companies. Clients seek my assistance in strategic business plan development; entity selection and formation; private and public fundraising (including crowdfunding) and securities law compliance; employment and compensation plans and agreements; and merger and acquisition activities.
I am the founder of AngelPolleNation, a Twin Cities networking organization that furthers awareness, communication and education among solo investors, informal investment clubs and formal angel investment groups. APN has hosted over 30 quarterly events and profiled over 90 companies since inception in 2011. APN also runs Piranha Pool™, an annual live investor event at the spring MinneBar tech conference. I am an advisory board member to Gopher Angels, a local investor network, and serve as a judge in the high-tech division of the annual Minnesota Cup business plan competition. I have also served as a mentor for the Techstars Farm-to-Fork and gener8tor Minnesota beta accelerator programs and am an advisor to the Great North Capital Fund.
I serve on the board of Venture Academies, a charter school that started in the fall of 2013. A Gates Foundation award winning recipient, VA utilizes blended learning strategies with a technology twist to nurture budding entrepreneurs through high school. I am also a board member of the Minnesota Jewish Theater Company – the only independent theater company in the U.S. that stages stories about Jewish history and culture with themes universal to people of all backgrounds.
I am an avid audiophile, a so-so piano player and a premier collector of Billy Joel memorabilia, having logged over 120 Billy Joel concerts to date.
“Jeff shows up and really brings it. He’s a tireless champion and helper of startups and startup investors. There are few attorneys you’ll see working as busy behind the scenes to help foster a better startup ecosystem, but Jeff is at the top of the list.
Add to his hustle the fact that his network is unparalleled here in Minnesota and it means that he’s a guy you want on your team if you’re a startup. He’s your built-in advantage.” – Casey Allen, Founder, Enterprise Rising
“Jeff Robbins is the entrepreneurs attorney. He knows the rules, how to protect your company and understands what it takes to go through all the phases of business. From start-up to acquisition. He has the experience to help you navigate all the challenges you will face in your business and the skills to help you negotiate a fair deal. His high IQ, sharp wit, ability to make hard work fun and deep connections make him such a valuable member of your team. I could not imagine my business without Jeff and I have been very fortunate to have him as my lead attorney. I highly recommend working with Jeff in any capacity.” – Daren Klum, CEO, Secured2 Corporation
- University of Minnesota, J.D. 1983, magna cum laude
- University of Minnesota, B.A. 1980, summa cum laude
- Angel Investing 101 in the Time of the Pandemic” – Austin Area Angels, June 2020
- “Preparing Your Startup for Success” – Kauffman Foundation FastTrac, November 2018
- “Preparing Your Startup for Investment” – Twin Cities Startup Week, October 2018
- “How to Finance Your Startup” – Gopher Angels event for Twin Cities Startup Week, October 2018
- “The Early Entrepreneur Catches the Funding: A Breakfast Seminar on Fundraising” — Minnesota Cup Semi-Finalists, August 2018
- Interview, “Minnesota Entrepreneurs Grow with Crowdfunding” – KSTP Eyewitness News
- Feature, “Edina’s Philanthropic Spirit” – Edina Magazine, December 2013
- Feature, “Building Businesses Through the Crowd” – Finance & Commerce, July 19, 2013
- Feature, “Startups can Advertise for Capital, but Here’s a Catch” – Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, July 16, 2013
- Feature, “AngelPolleNation Takes Flight” – TECHdotMN: News about Minnesota Startups, May 7, 2013
- Feature, “Group Wants Strong Angel Network” – Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal, August 5, 2011