We support the mission and vision of renewable energy projects. We know the value of and interest in sustainable energy is increasing at a fast pace, making energy projects even more popular and in-demand today with a huge growth trajectory. We believe supporting businesses across a variety of renewable energy industries will be as good for business as it is for the planet and for future generations.
As entrepreneurs ourselves, our renewable energy group understands what it takes to successfully close renewable energy deals. From solar and wind, to renewable natural gas (RNG) projects, we help you from project inception through early-stage bridge financing, land acquisition, permitting, regulatory matters, and construction, as well as structuring the right finance deal for you to own and operate a successful renewable energy business. When the deal is done, we can also serve as your outside general counsel to ensure the ongoing success of your renewable energy venture.
We Focus on Unique and Interesting Deals
We like unique and interesting deals in the renewable energy space. We’ve found that a lot of big law firms do big utility projects on a very large scale. Because of our entrepreneurial focus, we work with people who probably don’t do these deals in their day-to-day job but need to learn about all aspects of funding and building a renewable energy project. We also work with experienced developers and funds on projects that have a lot of untapped potential. Recently a client told us we have a “great bedside manner.” We take this as a compliment because we know and understand how to get a renewable energy deal done.
Our Renewable Energy Services
Within our renewable energy practice, we focus on the following services:
- Project Development – Our team of renewable energy attorneys works with clients early on during the project development phase.
- Project Finance – We help clients fund energy projects using infrastructure fund financing, bank and non-traditional debt, green bonds, Opportunity Zone financing, Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) financing, and New Market Tax Credit (NMTC) financing.
- Startup Finance – We help startup ventures fund projects through capital structure execution, bridge loans, and other creative strategies.
- Land Acquisition and Control – All renewable energy projects start with the land upon which the project will be built. We work with renewable energy clients and entrepreneurs who need to acquire land, working closely with governmental entities to secure favorable tax treatment.
- Key Contracts – Whether our client is starting a wind farm, a large-scale solar project, or a Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) deal, our renewable energy attorneys know and understand the energy business and assist clients with the contracts necessary at every stage of the deal.
- Regulatory Matters – In the highly regulated renewable energy industry, our lawyers know and understand the regulatory issues renewable energy projects can face. Because of our experience, we can guide and direct your project through this complex process with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), local and state Public Utilities Commissions, and in some cases the Environmental Protection Agency. We know and understand the compliance requirements of the Energy Policy Act (EPA), and ensure full compliance by our clients.
- Interconnection – Every renewable energy project needs to work with local utility companies and enter into an Interconnection Agreement. Whether establishing a solar, wind, or RNG project, our lawyers have experience seamlessly establishing Interconnection Agreements with local and state utilities.
Renewable Energy Attorneys in Minneapolis, MN
Industries We Serve
We want to help your business make a positive impact on the environment. We work with clients in a variety of industries, including:
- Infrastructure Private Equity Firms
- Boutique Investors
- Corporate and Strategic Partners on Renewable Energy projects
The Spaces We Work In
The deals we do for our clients through our Renewable Energy practice include:
- Solar Energy (Rooftop and Ground-Mount)
- Community Solar
- Power Purchase Agreements (PPA)
- Net Metering
- Energy Storage
- Wind Power
- Carbon Capture, Sequestration, Storage and Reuse
- Renewable fuels including biomass, biogas and Renewable Natural Gas (RNG)
- Energy efficiency
- Waste to Energy Including Biogas and Anaerobic Digestion
Our Unique Approach
Our work has included all aspects of project development and financing, including key contracts (feedstock, lease, offtake, RIN and LCFS, construction, and more), as well as debt and equity financing.
The Renewable Energy practice group at Avisen Legal has a breadth and depth of experience handling all aspects of cutting-edge renewable energy projects and deals. A small sample of our experience includes:
- Cuyahoga County Landfill Solar Array, highlighted as the 2018 Project of the Year for Solar Builder Magazine, representing the County
- Large battery storage project in a Midwestern metropolitan area, representing the landlord
- Large solar project in rural Minnesota, representing the landlord
- Red Lake Nation solar projects, highlighted here and here, representing the developer
- Lake Street Solar distributed solar projects across Minneapolis, highlighted here, representing the developer
- People’s Solar Energy Cooperative multi-state portfolio of 8 community solar projects in MN and MA, representing the cooperative
- University of Minnesota on-campus solar, regulatory, financing, and procurement strategy, highlighted here, here and here, representing the project host
- Abbot Northwestern Hospital solar procurement and sustainability strategy for $70MM transportation hub, representing the project host
- SolStar low-income residential solar portfolio and training partnership in Minneapolis, representing the developer and investor
- Baltimore MD low-income residential solar pilot financing program, highlighted here, representing a federal agency in partnership with the sponsoring city
- Philadelphia low-income Solarize Philly financing platform, representing the program sponsor
- District of Columbia Department of Energy and the Environment Solar for All project portfolio, representing the developer
- PACE of Minnesota statewide financing program, representing the program administrator
- PACE Financing for Long-term-care facilities, representing the program administrator
- CU Green clean energy financing platform, representing the credit union trade association
- Residential customers victimized by an irresponsible national solar contractor, representing the consumers
- Clean energy financing policy development, representing a nonprofit organization
- State-level Green Bank enabling legislation, representing a nonprofit organization
- Electric utility policy reform, representing a nonprofit organization
- Electric power plant fuel supply agreement analysis, representing a nonprofit organization
Avisen lawyers have worked for over 20 years on conventional and advanced energy fuels, chemicals and energy projects and technologies.
- Four California-based dairy RNG projects, represented the financial partner
- Oregon-based dairy RNG project, representing the owner
- Colorado-based dairy RNG project, representing a financial partner
- Wyoming-based dairy RNG project, representing a financial partner
- Missouri-based dairy RNG project, representing the owner
- Wisconsin-based dairy RNG project, representing the owner
- Iowa-based dairy RNG project, representing the owner
- Minnesota-based food waste RNG project, representing the owner
- New Jersey-food waste RNG, representing the owner
- Texas-based renewable diesel project, including green hydrogen from solar
- Over a dozen 1st and 2nd generation biofuels projects in the U.S.
- Louisiana algae project, including biofuels and carbon sequestration
Our Commitment to Biofuel Projects
Our first ethanol project was in 1997, helping form and finance DENCO in Morris, Minnesota. Since then, our lawyers have worked on ethanol and other biofuels projects in Minnesota, the Midwest, the U.S., Mexico, the Caribbean, Germany, Poland, South Korea and Thailand. In total, we have worked on projects with a production capacity well over a billion gallons. In addition, we have worked on renewable gasoline, renewable diesel, RNG and hydrogen projects connected to existing ethanol plants or as separate projects.
We continue to work with a number of Minnesota biofuels producers and developers and serve biofuels producers and developers in North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Texas, New Jersey, New York, Florida, California, Oregon, Nevada, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, and more.
Avisen Legal Team Instrumental in Trenton Renewables Project
Avisen Legal is proud to serve as counsel to Trenton Renewables. Working directly with the Trenton team, we were involved in all aspects of the project, from feedstock and offtake contracts, technical licensing, construction and working with local counsel on permitting and site control issues. We worked with and for various financing parties, including a family office, an infrastructure private equity fund, multiple Qualified Opportunity Zone Funds, Investment Tax Credit financing and sustainable debt financing. We continue to serve as counsel and look forward to other opportunities with Trenton in the future.
Red River Biorefinery
Avisen lawyers worked with the developers on this project, from helping secure Letters of Intent for feedstock and offtake contracts, site control, seed financing, infrastructure private equity financing, and real estate matters for the final construction and financing.