Solar power is a critical component of the low carbon solutions required to address climate change.
Solar energy, and the industry around it, has quickly matured into one of the most cost-effective forms of electricity available. As the field has grown, solar has become a phenomenal investment for developers, tax equity investors, building owners and landowners. Avisen Legal provides an unrivaled depth of experience and understanding in this evolving industry.
At Avisen Legal, we bring decades of experience to our solar energy work through our Impact Counsel practice group.
Our work on both the legal and operational side of solar allows us to provide a unique, full suite of services and expertise. We help guide clients through every step in the process, from the utility and public policies that are the backbone of solar development to real estate issues like leases and site acquisition to navigating the complex world of finance and tax credits. There is rarely a project too small, too large, or too complex for our team of senior level attorneys.
Our solar practice lead, Jeremy Kalin, authored Minnesota’s first solar incentive legislation when he served in the MN House of Representatives. He also served the White House and advised both Democratic and Republican Secretaries of Energy. Jeremy has seen the solar revolution from the days of $8.32 per watt construction costs to the astounding efficiencies in innovation in the market today.
What Really Differentiates Us in Solar Energy Law
At community scale, there is no more experienced solar advisor and law firm in the country than Avisen Legal. Community scale can range from as small as a bundle of nonprofit solar projects or low-to-moderate income solar installations up to portfolios that can reach 25-100 megawatts.
Because of our expertise across the renewable energy industry on projects from small to massive, we often also work on larger solar developments. This has included representing the solar developer from the beginning planning stages through installation and helping them benefit from any available solar tax credit. We have also taken on more discreet roles, including acquisition due diligence, negotiating land leases for solar development, or serving as local counsel.
We often serve as general counsel and advisor to nascent developers with business savvy as an added member of their core team navigating the regulatory, utility, finance, and tax considerations involved in quickly scaling up the operations.
Types of Solar Clients We Work With
- Solar Developers
- Tax equity Investors
- Project hosts
- Public agencies
- Technology innovators
- Nonprofit advocates
- Technology incubators
- Impact investors, including foundations and high net worth individuals
How We Serve Solar Clients
As one of the most experienced firms available in the Solar Law field, Avisen provides a truly one-of-a-kind service. Our team of partner-level attorneys, pulled together for each solar client’s particular needs, offers operational and legal assistance at every step along the way. Our team is practical and accessible, and we’ve seen and helped solve almost every situation a solar client can encounter.
Areas of Solar Energy We Work In
- Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) and Advisory Services
- Solar ITC Investment, Structuring, and Related Transaction
- Solar Energy (Rooftop and Ground-Mount) Development Agreements
- Solar Lending and other Solar Financing Agreements
- Community Solar
- Power Purchase Agreements (PPA)
- Net Metering
- Energy Storage
- Solar Leasing (both rooftop and land leases)
- Green Bank Structuring and Policy Development
- Solar Cooperatives
- Solar for Tax-Exempt Entities, including Public Entities and Non-Profit Organizations
Representative Solar Experience
- Cuyahoga County Landfill Solar Array, highlighted as the 2018 Project of the Year for Solar Builder Magazine, representing the County
- Large battery storage project in a Midwestern metropolitan area, representing the landlord
- Large solar project in rural Minnesota, representing the landlord
- Red Lake Nation solar projects, highlighted here and here, representing the developer
- Lake Street Solar distributed solar projects across Minneapolis, highlighted here, representing the developer
- People’s Solar Energy Cooperative multi-state portfolio of 8 community solar projects in MN and MA, representing the cooperative
- University of Minnesota on-campus solar, regulatory, financing, and procurement strategy, highlighted here, here and here, representing the project host
- Abbot Northwestern Hospital solar procurement and sustainability strategy for $70MM transportation hub, representing the project host
Low- and Moderate-Income Solar
- SolStar low-income residential solar portfolio and training partnership in Minneapolis, representing the developer and investor
- Baltimore MD low-income residential solar pilot financing program, highlighted here, representing a federal agency in partnership with the sponsoring city
- Philadelphia low-income Solarize Philly financing platform, representing the program sponsor
- District of Columbia Department of Energy and the Environment Solar for All project portfolio, representing the developer
Solar Fraud Prevention and Response
- Residential customers victimized by an irresponsible national solar contractor, representing the consumers
Leaders in Renewable Energy Law
We firmly believe that renewable energy, like solar, is crucial to businesses of all sizes and industries going forward. In addition to solar energy, Avisen can help with:
- AgTech and FoodTech Law
- Biogas and Natural Renewable Gas Law
- Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Storage Law
- Much More
Contact our Solar Law Team
Could you benefit from our solar legal services? Reach out to start a conversation with us today.
Frequently Asked Questions
Solar energy law refers to the legal framework that governs the development, financing, and operation of solar energy projects, including solar power plants, rooftop solar installations, and community solar projects.
Solar energy projects face a range of legal issues, including land use and zoning, permitting, interconnection and transmission, project financing, regulatory compliance, and contractual arrangements.
Our attorneys can provide legal support for all stages of solar energy projects, from project planning and financing to regulatory compliance and ongoing legal support. We have extensive experience in addressing the unique legal challenges of solar energy projects, and we are committed to helping our clients achieve their sustainability goals while also maximizing economic benefits.
Our law firm provides legal support for a wide range of solar energy projects, including solar power plants, rooftop solar installations, and community solar projects. We work with clients in both the commercial and residential sectors.
Yes, we can serve as outside general counsel for our clients and provide ongoing legal support for the long-term success of their solar energy projects.
Our attorneys stay informed on the latest developments in solar energy law through ongoing research, industry conferences, and participation in relevant professional associations. We are committed to staying at the forefront of this rapidly evolving field to provide our clients with the most up-to-date legal guidance.
Our law firm provides legal support for a wide range of clients in the solar energy industry, including project developers, technology providers, investors, utilities, and government agencies. We are committed to providing comprehensive legal support for all types of solar energy projects and clients.
We definitely can help! Take a few moments to read through our three-part solar tax incentive article series, How to Better Understand and Benefit from Solar Tax Incentives, then get in touch with our solar law team so we can address your situation specifically.
Solar seems like a big investment. Is it worth exploring for my small to medium-sized business or nonprofit organization?
Solar is certainly a viable option for many independently owned businesses or nonprofits. Contact us today and we can get a better sense of your unique needs, help you look into financing opportunities, and even explore installation options that best fit you.
Solar energy projects can be financed through a variety of mechanisms, including power purchase agreements (PPAs), leases, loans, and tax incentives. Our attorneys can provide legal guidance for all types of solar energy project financing, helping our clients to secure the most favorable financing terms for their projects.
Solar energy projects face a range of regulatory issues, including permitting, interconnection and transmission, and compliance with local, state, and federal regulations. Our attorneys have extensive experience in addressing these regulatory issues and providing legal support for all aspects of solar energy projects.
Rooftop solar installations can face legal challenges related to property rights, zoning and land use, interconnection and transmission, and regulatory compliance. Our attorneys can provide legal guidance for all stages of rooftop solar projects, including project development, financing, and ongoing legal support.